Tagged: Windows XP - Technology - tech - tablet - rom - NVIDIA - nvflash - Linux - hannstitan - hannspree - hannspad - ClockworkMod - ARM - android -
Now to copy over the files we need to load a custom image...
The current bootloader on the tablet isn't great, so we are going to replace it with the hackers de-facto bootloader, named ClockWorkMod. Download "recovery.zip" I suggest using the one linked in this article as it has been tested and is known to work on this hardware setup. Inside that zip file is another zip called "Update.zip"
Once in the recover screen, use the Volume up, Volume down keys to navigate the menu. A breif tap on the power button serves to 'select' an option.
that should take about 10 seconds to install. After it is done the tablet should reboot, if not, reboot it yourself.
CWM supports the 'soft' buttons on the side of the tablet, which makes navigation a tad easier.
We are now going to use CWM to make a quick backup of the native image again. Unlike the 'Hard' backup we did before, we can do this one from within CWM. However remember that this backup will require CWM to install, so it isnt a true reflection of the "out of the box" tablet. However it is handy to have this as a quick method of restoring the tablet to a working state.
That will take a few minutes. Once complete we now need to get those files off the tablets internal memory and backed up someplace safe.
Once those are copied off safly we can now set about flashing the ROM with a custom OS. Thankfully now we have CWM installed on the tablet, this last bit is easy.
This will take a few minutes, just leave CWM to copy the data onto the ROM, the screen should look something like the image below when it is done.
You should now see the following loading screen. This will hang for a while on the first boot, but dont worry, its just getting itself configured, it will be nice and quick on subsequent boots.
Shown below, the desktop as supplied by HannsTitan-0.4
And after 5 minutes in the App store i tweaked mine up to look like this.
And most importantly, i got my CBR reader working...
...and my MKV playback working ...
Ok, that concludes that part of the project. I may add some additionalpieces on how to restore from backup, and I may even test run some other ROM's too.
A HUGE thanks to everyone on the SlateDroid Forums, without whome this guide would not have been possible. HUGE respect goes to the CWM devs, the ROM devs and the toolchain/kernel Devs.
Thanks for my kickass cut-price tablet you guys!